Silver Linings: Focusing on Positives as the Beginning of the School Year "Honeymoon" Winds Down

I write this post after a week of taking the time to appreciate the positive happenings going on in the PYP art studio (and in general) at my school.  We're 9 weeks into the new school year, which means the "honeymoon" phase has worn off.  Group dynamics have shifted in classrooms, students and teachers are settling in to their comfort zones.  We are all feeling the effects of a new routine, sleep schedule and daily demand on our minds and bodies.  After weeks of saying "yes" to new opportunities, we might be feeling overwhelmed.  Viruses from summer travels have taken a tour of the school and been exchanged.  It can be easy to fall into old ways of doing things because they are comfortable and easy.  I find that this is the exact time that I need to stop and be more aware of what's happening around me...throughout the school, with my colleagues, among students.  I need to focus on the positive, appreciate others, and maintain a growth mindset.

There is a much needed week-long holiday ahead to reflect on the first weeks with students, how learning is happening, and what should continue or change for the rest of the semester.  I've been following Action for Happiness's "Optimistic October" for motivation, and along with this, have also been reflecting on what I appreciate most about our school community.  There are a lot of little (and big) things happening right on the same campus that can be easily overlooked or under-appreciated.  Here are a few ways my days were inspired just this week.

  • Teachers Teaching Teachers I had a "groan zone" moment (thanks Kimberly Mitchell for this new phrase in my vocab) when asked to volunteer to give a 5 minute workshop for fellow teachers on an inquiry strategy that works in my classroom.  But I signed up anyway and am so glad that others did too.  In an hour after school today, I learned new strategies for brain breaks, how classroom teachers are running morning meetings, took resources for creating my own "I have, I want" art game, and found out how like schools are experimenting with student-led inquiry in new and exciting ways.  I am re-realizing how many wonderful professionals and I am surrounded by every day and reminded to take advantage of their experience and knowledge more often.
  • Pineapple charts.  We are using this form of daily peer observation at ISPP this year and I am really loving the opportunities to observe teachers teaching and students learning in different ways.  It's a great tool to allow teachers to invite others into their rooms when they want feedback, to show off a lesson, or to share routines.  I have been trying to get out of my classroom more this year and this is definitely helping. 
  • Wellness Committee.  Our school is launching a new initiative to get the adults in our school to focus on their own well-being as much as they are focused on the wellbeing of their students.  While this committee has just begun to form it's identity, I am proud to be working at a school where we are thinking about the importance of balanced teachers.  Because, as Thich Nhat Hanh would tell you, "Happy Teachers Change the World".
  • Makerspace.  While it has been, and continues to be, a work in progress, we have created an elementary school Makerspace.  There have been major glitches and obstacles along the way, and there are still changes to be made, but you have to start somewhere.  I am appreciative of an administrative team who see the importance and meaning of implementing a Makerspace, and to have a growing number of colleagues who understand the point of having a Makerspace.  As a visual arts teacher who only sees students once a week for 45 minutes, I am concerned with giving students more time in their week to create, play, innovate and develop a "maker mindset" that crosses over into all areas of their lives.  I hope the addition of a Makerspace at our school will be a natural connection to our Creative Cycle and coexist with like goals to the art and music curricula.
  • Student Recesses.  I had to end on an appreciative note directed at students.  As we end our first 10 week unit of inquiry, the G5 students have been begging for more time in art class to complete their artworks.  Because the unit is focused on using the Creative Cycle, and our approach to learning in the art studio is quite student centered, there have been a variety of extremely personalized and ambitious artworks being made.  I have opened up the art studio to G5 students during 2 recesses per week and am loving the learning environment they are creating on their own time!  As I circulate around to see what everyone is up to, I am SO happy with the changes in teaching/learning style that I've made this year and aware of the impact it has had on student motivation, creativity and confidence!
What do you notice about the teachers, staff and students around your school that make the days brighter?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snapping Out of It: Making the Switch to a More Student-Centered Art Studio

Navigating "Too Much Choice" in a Student-Centered Art Room

Developing Ideas: Guiding Young Artists to Extend and Explore